5 Reasons Why You Need Better BOMs
Many asset-intensive companies struggle with maintaining bills of materials (BOMs) for their critical equipment. BOMs allow maintenance personnel to create work orders efficiently and accurately. Without BOMs, companies are faced with duplicate parts, unorganized data, and maintenance workers spending their time building work orders instead of performing maintenance.
In an EAM system, an equipment BOM captures spare part information for a piece of equipment. This information is used during maintenance to determine the correct spare parts to replace.
Top 5 Reasons Why BOMs Are Beneficial to Your Asset-Intensive Business:
1. BOMs Capture Accurate Parts Information
They provide a record of recommended spare parts for maintenance and repair professionals. BOMs ensure critical spare parts are identified and can be stocked.
2. BOMs Generate Complete, Effective Work Orders
BOMs connect parts to equipment in an EAM System, making the parts information available for work orders and notifications. Maintenance Personnel can easily select the correct parts for a work order to ensure it is complete.
3. BOMs Reduce Downtime, Increase Wrench Time
Maintenance Personnel waste no time searching in the system for the correct part because they can reference the already existing BOM. Their available wrench time is increased by 25% because it is easier and faster for maintenance workers to find information.
4. BOMs Minimize Parts Duplication
BOMs prevent maintenance personnel from unnecessary searching that often results in the addition of duplicated parts when the original part is difficult to locate. All identical equipment can have the same BOM, speeding the process of building BOMs and making important information quickly accessible.
A maintenance worker at company ABC searches in the EAM system for a part needed to perform maintenance on a critical piece of equipment. The worker is unable to find the part because it is mislabeled or difficult to identify. Without a BOM to make the information accessible, the worker creates a new order for the part, duplicating it in the system. This is neither effective nor efficient, and wastes time, money, and resources.
5. BOMs Help Plan Maintenance Efficiently
BOMs make critical information more available to the maintenance planner, which allows for the planning and scheduling of maintenance work to be completed in a timely manner. BOMs reduce downtime, increasing revenue and profitability.
Why Don’t More Companies Use BOMs?
Even companies that have BOMs find they are incomplete or out of date.
5 Ways NRX AssetHub Helps:
- Locate Similar Equipment With Different BOMs to eliminate duplication and improve the quality of existing BOMs
- Intelligent Suggestions and Recommended Part Matches speed the BOM-building process and eliminate duplicates
- Copy/Paste and Bulk Changes to reuse existing BOM information for same or similar assets
- Powerful Reports provide transparency for the data build process, making it easy to monitor progress
- Create Exploded Parts Diagram for BOMs to choose parts visually
About NRX AssetHub
NRX AssetHub provides maintenance and reliability professionals at asset-intensive businesses with world-class software solutions for analyzing, visualizing, building, editing, organizing, approving, and sustaining high-quality Asset and Maintenance Data for the Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) and Computerized Maintenance Management (CMMS) systems. We help our customers get their CMMS data right.Learn More
Share this article
- Top 7 Root Causes of Poor Quality EAM Data
- Poor Quality Data Decomposes EAM Asset Reliabilty
- SAP PM Notifications Simplified
- What Good are KPIs when Your Data is DOA
- Top 3 Impacts of Poor Quality EAM Data
- ISO 14224 Alignment With Asset Hierarchy
- The Hidden Cost of Erroneous Work Orders
- Simplifying Equipment Tags
- The Foundation for Operational Excellence
- 3 Steps for Asset Master Data Success