Whether it’s writing a report, or cleansing your data, the hardest part is getting started. Like the snowball effect. Creating a small snowball may be hard, but once you make it and then start rolling, it builds upon itself. Similar to getting up in the morning, it may be a struggle to get out of bed, but once you’re up and out of the house you’re fine.
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
If there is anything you wish to get started on, it is important to remember the following:
- Change your belief about failure
- Find an easy place to start
- Create an action plan, break it down into small steps, and begin with the first
It’s also very easy to get caught up in excuses, which also avoids getting started. People make excuses like; “Where do I even begin?” or “It’s too hard!”. Once you manage to take the first step, you get into “the zone”, where your mind is focused, and you feel productive, and you get stuff done.
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” -Mark Twain
When it comes to data, there are many areas where bad data hurts your organization, and it is extremely important to get started on cleaning it. Bad data can drastically increase your maintenance costs, as well as cause unexpected downtime. It will decrease maintenance productivity and will increase risk for greater exposure to EH&S. Bad data can also lead to overspending on spare parts and will increase the time it takes to search for information.
So, Just Fix It! Let’s take a look at how we can fix our bad data.
- Prioritize Data – What should be fixed first? You can’t fix everything at once, so focus on problems that have the largest impact on revenue and expenses and Just Fix It!
- Measure Progress – Design 10-15 key KPIs around master data completeness, accuracy, and suitability, as well as using a staging solution, where you can visualize data completeness.
- Adopt and Set Standards – Standards should be properly documented and readily available.
- Oversee the Project – A staging area can allow you to easily find, search, filter, and visualize your data and allows you to oversee and provide feedback to external contractors.
- Leverage Existing Legacy Data – When replacing a legacy EAM system, use a solution that allows you to load legacy data and create new sites mapped to your new EAM.
Just Fix It! NRX AssetHub is an EAM software solution that helps asset-intensive companies organize, cleanse and migrate their data. We work with leading EAM and CMMS solutions such as IBM Maximo and SAP PM and MM, and Oracle EAM to ensure that our clients can rest easy with high-quality asset data. So if you’re ready to Just Fix It!, book a demo or contact us.
“What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Share this article