Years ago, and sometimes still today, business processes were analog. All customer files, manuals, repair handbooks were hard copies.
Digitization is the process of converting something from analog to digital form. Digitization is the first step into digital transformation. An example of digitization is converting hand-written text into the digital form.
Digitization has numerous advantages that can ultimately improve productivity and reduces risk.
- Cost efficiency – The cost of printing and paperwork can be very high.
- Easy to access and always accessible – Documents that are converted into digital formats can be easily accessed through the cloud or systems using any device with access to the internet.
- Enhanced security – A scanned document is trackable, and each document can be programmed to only be accessed by certain people, which enhances security and confidentiality.
- Enhanced information preservation – Document imaging ensures that your business’ most important data is saved and preserved for the future, whereas paper formats are degradable.
- Disaster recovery – With the risk of disaster, paper documents can be lost, whereas digital formats will have backups and can be accessed through a simple click somewhere else.
- Saves space – Eliminating paper storage allows you to have more space, reducing the amount of real estate needed, essentially reducing rent costs.
- Stay competitive – As society becomes more and more technology-based, everyone needs to be able to keep up by digitizing their company information.
- Environmentally friendly – Reducing the amount of paper used, helps save the environment.
Digital solutions enable easy access to critical information: they are faster than paper-based systems and ensure standardization across business units.
Digitization is ultimately the process of making all information available and accessible in a digital format. However, it’s important to remember that digitization is when you convert information into a digital format, not the process – that’s where digitalization comes in. Stay tuned for next week’s blog to learn about the difference between digitization and digitalization.
How can NRX AssetHub help digitize?
Our team offers services for converting paper or electronic manuals to interactive parts books in NRX AssetVisualizer, part of the NRX AssetHub platform. Parts books enable reliability and maintenance organizations to visualize manufacturer-recommended parts with photographs, drawings, and schematics. Parts books also allow for SKU matching: a process in which manufacturer-recommended parts are intelligently mapped to warehouse parts. SKU matching ultimately reduces duplicate warehouse inventory and can dramatically lower holding costs.
Our software integrates with leading EAM systems such as SAP and Maximo to promote efficiency and productivity. We help get our client’s data right. If you would like to know more about how we can help your company digitize your information, contact us today.
Share this article