In the intricate landscape of asset management, the seamless transition of data across different stages of an asset’s lifecycle is imperative. However, organizations often encounter significant hurdles when attempting to leverage existing Bills of Materials (BOMs) data, especially from construction to maintenance phases. In this blog, we will delve into the difficulties associated with repurposing construction BOM data within Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems for maintenance purposes. Additionally, we’ll explore the challenges posed by legacy or alternative systems’ BOMs when loaded, visualized, edited, reviewed, and approved within spreadsheets or dedicated Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) systems.
- The Struggle with Construction BOMs in ERP Systems:
- Repurposing Challenges: Transitioning data from construction BOMs to maintenance BOMs is often fraught with difficulties. Determining which parts are maintainable can be a challenge.
- Data Compatibility: The nuanced differences between construction parts and maintenance parts create compatibility issues, making it challenging to repurpose existing BOM data. For example, for production you may purchase cables and similar parts in bulk and rely on production employees to cut them to size as needed. But for maintenance and replacement purposes, such parts should be pre-cut to length and perhaps included in a maintenance kit with related parts.
- Legacy Systems’ BOMs:
- Complexity in Data Handling: Migrating BOMs from legacy or alternative systems into your EAM/CMMS system poses a complex data handling challenge. Legacy systems may use outdated formats or structures that do not align with formats required for your EAM/CMMS system.
- Visualization and Editing Hurdles: Trying to use spreadsheets or your EAM/CMMS system to edit the BOMs is challenging since they may lack user-friendly interfaces for visualization and editing. This can result in inefficiencies as users struggle to navigate and modify data.
- Review and Approval Bottlenecks: The review and approval processes for materials and BOMs become bottlenecks when dealing when migrating data. The processes may not have been intended to handle bulk migration and loading efforts and may not scale effectively.
Navigating the intricacies of repurposing BOM data from construction to maintenance phases and dealing with legacy systems’ BOMs is a challenge. By acknowledging these challenges and adopting strategic solutions, organizations can pave the way for a more efficient and integrated approach to data management.
How Can We Help You?
Hubhead’s solutions and services can assist in leveraging your existing BoM data and also aid in constructing effective bills of materials for maintenance purposes. To learn more about how we can help you build better BOMs, contact us to book a demo or download our brochure.
The Cost of BOMs and How to Lower It
Tips To Create Good Quality Maintenance BOMs
Signs you should start building a BOM
Share this article