Can Poor Asset Data Quality Destroy Your RCM Practice?
Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) has been around since the 1970s, yet even today, few organizations can claim that they have a standardized RCM practice. At HubHead, we commonly work with reliability and maintenance organizations that are just starting to adopt RCM. Among this group, the intent is clear. By implementing a well-structured Reliability Centered Maintenance program, businesses provide themselves with a systematic way of mitigating preventable asset failures that can compromise the safety and productivity of their operations.
Implementing a Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) Program
Predicting asset failures starts by understanding the historical and current states of the assets. RCM starts with data collection.
Organizations typically start by collecting information on their critical equipment and historical operational data. This information allows businesses to derive proper system boundaries and failure modes, and gain insights into the frequency and severity of failures. If an organization’s asset information is inaccurate to begin with, RCM will not serve its purpose.
HubHead customers start RCM analysis by ensuring that their digital plant is an accurate representation of their physical plant. We help them build, “clean-up”, and validate their asset hierarchy and classifications to provide a solid data foundation for determining system boundaries and failure modes. Moreover, when asset criticality ratings and recommended actions are identified through RCM, we help them consolidate the information into maintenance plans for their target Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) solution.
Data is at the heart of Reliability Centered Maintenance. Recommendations from RCM analysis are only as good as the data that goes into it.
Alfred Yang | @Alfredhubhead
Vice-President, Global Customer Service
Share this article
- Facing Problems in Your Asset Hierarchy? Adopt RDS-PP or KKS!
- What Should Your SAP Plant Maintenance Solution Look Like?
- Regulatory Compliance Doesn’t Have to be Time Consuming!
- Repairing Data Can Be Quite Easy
- Too Many Maintenance Documents, Too Little Time!
- Don’t Let Poor Data Ruin Your Asset Integrity
- Save Money on Spare Parts Management!
- Why Is Organizing Your Asset Hierarchy So Challenging!
- Effectively Cleanse Data with 3 Easy Steps!
- The “Don’ts” of an EAM Migration!